Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weekend Reflect

The other night my friend Tina told me that she'd found a mixed CD I had made for her 17th birthday. In high school I was pretty infamous for giving mixed CDs as birthday presents. I always felt that it was a thoughtful gift, something someone could keep & use for a while. After she told me this, I got to thinking - does anyone else have any of the CDs I made for them? What if they found one today? Would they person still like the songs? Would they remember why I put those songs on the CD?
I really enjoy going back & listening to old CDs & old songs. Music has this crazy ability to take you back to that moment in time in which that song was popular, or back to an important event, memory or person. So I'm making a mixed CD for my friend Paymon's birthday. I just find it to be a more personal present, that it shows that you know a person.

So to anyone who's reading this, give it a try. Find an old CD or think of an old band & listen to some of the songs. See what comes up in your head. You may be surprised...


Song recommendation: "Add it Up" by Violent Femmes
Movie recommendation: "Mallrats" directed by Kevin Smith

1 comment:

  1. its shayne. i listen to the mixes you've made me allll the time

    ReplyDelete